Location: Albany, NY
Client: OGS / DASNY
Architect: DeWolff Partnership
Photo Credit: DeWolff Partnership
The New York State Court of Appeals in Albany was built in 1842, and since 1958, had not had a major renovation. The $37.5 million project required a renovation as well as the design of a 22,000SF addition to the existing building and a new 2 level, 120-car underground garage structure. The addition has office spaces for judges, their clerks, and other court employees. The courtroom’s historic marble, wood and brass facades had to be maintained and were cleaned and preserved. The entire structure was modernized, improving utilities, heating, air conditioning, telecommunications, and accessibility for the handicapped. The courthouse is the highest court of appeals in New York State, which necessitates it being a completely secure facility. The project was completed in 2005.
YAS, P.C. Involvement: 100% of design phase.